Monday, April 4, 2011

Eating

They were introduced to cereal at just over 3 weeks old. At first it was just (human) baby rice cereal mixed with puppy formula and Tree Bark Gruel. And very soupy. Yin caught on pretty quickly, Yang wore it, for the most part. After they played at eating for awhile, Fada would get in the pen to finish their food and nurse them.

As time went on I made it thicker and eventually added some of Fada's food. That would be Honest Kitchen dehydrated food and also Fromm kibble (though I am using the puppy kibble). The Honest Kitchen does mix with water into gruel, even for my adults, so that mixes into the cereal very easily. The kibble I soak in very hot water for long enough to mush it, then add to cereal.

Now, at 5 1/2 weeks I am making the gruel thicker as we go and they are eating more, leaving less for Fada. In addition to the Tree Bark gruel, I add some kefir or organic yogurt as well. Fada is also less inclined to spend time nursing puppies. Both pups have back teeth,  so will soak kibble less and less as time goes on until they are eating it fairly solid.

No comments:

Post a Comment