Monday, April 4, 2011

Playing

This is where are really big changes are. Once they became confident on their feet it opened up a whole new world of possibilities for them. At first they could only walk well on the thicker fleece in the pen. Then they could walk on the smoother blankets.

I also started getting them out to play on the living room rug. Yang would venture out to the laminate floor off the rug, Yin didn't for quite some time. Yang also was willing to try the toy slide, which Yin still doesn't want to do. She apparently has to mull things over, while he plunges right in.

I also have been introducing more toys to them in the pen. They notice something new almost right away. Even when it is just a different soft toy, similar to ones that have had before. They find them right away. I switch things out every day or so, to keep a variety of things.  They have toys that are soft, some that are harder, some that move and a baby "busy box" that they can step on and make lights flash and causes a variety of noises.

In the next week I will likely try them on a small balance disc that will move under their feet. Then I put a small target board on it so they get introduced to a baby wobble board. I am also thinking about introducing clicker to them this week. I have never done this with infant pups before, but since these are hounds, not a herding or working breed I think it might not hurt to start early on the cause (work with me) and effect (get rewarded by a treat) connection. Since they both like the baby food chicken I used while getting "stacked" photos of them the other day, I have something I can use a a reward for them.

As you can see from the photos and video they are both very interested in tugging right now. I love having a pup that will play such interactive games WITH me, so I hope this continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment