Saturday, April 9, 2011

New things

Puppies now climb the steps up the deck fairly easily and Yang is starting to go down them. Actually, with purpose, not just falling. <g> Yin has not tried it yet. They not only walk on the laminate flooring now, they run all over, without slipping.

We have had three clicker sessions this week. Not trying to get them to do anything specific, just getting them to associate the click-treat idea. So generally just clicking for doing SOMETHING, preferably involving me in some way. Looking at me, walking towards me, sitting facing me, etc.

We put on collars for the first time this evening. They were... less than pleased. Yin froze for some time, Yang just kept trying to scratch it off. I did take them, one at a time, out front to try on leash walking up and down the sidewalk though. Had fun trying to hold leash, clicker (at least it's a finger clicker!) and lid with baby food meat. So each pup started out following me, as they had done when wearing no leash or collar. Every 1-3 steps I did a click-treat.

After a short time each realized they weren't totally free and turned into a bucking bronco. Pretty funny, watching them fling their little bodies around and having a fit. I stood completely still and waited it out. As soon as pup stopped acting the fool and let slack into leash I did a c-t and they quickly were trotting up and down the sidewalk alongside me.

Love my smart puppies!

2 comments:

  1. What you couldn't hold the video camera along with the leashes, the treats and the clicker??? :-)
    They are so cute---
    Susan Y.

    ReplyDelete