Wednesday, April 6, 2011

We're 6 weeks old!


Today's weights reported earlier. I can't believe the changes this week! They are turning into real dogs. Spending more and more time out of the pen and running around the house. They now act like walking off of the rug onto the slippery floor is nothing, so keeping track of them is tougher every day. Now they run the entire first floor; chasing big dogs, finding new toys, chewing cords and shoes...

So our lives go something like this. Nap, wake,go out and potty, eat (if it's time), go back out and potty and run around the yard playing, then play in the house, back out to potty, then in the pen to nap. Sleep a couple of hours and start over again!

There are variations, of course. We do toe nails sometimes. Today we wormed again. They  also spend some time away from one another. One pup stays in the pen while the other goes outside, or plays in the house. Tonight, we took another big step...

Mike and I went out to our favorite Mexican restaurant (one of these days EE... you may be from Texas but I can show you Mexican food here too!) but stopped at PetSmart first. I bought a second small puppy kennel and leashes and collars. So, first step to learning to walk on leash was to go out front, one at a time, and learn to walk up and down the sidewalk without a leash or collar.

This is exciting! Out front for the first time AND on cement, which is a totally new surface for them. I have a jar of baby food chicken (first made its appearance for the stacked photos last week) as treats. I spread a little smear of it in the jar's lid to let pups lick it off a little at  time. So I took that out front to introduce them to the new experience.

I took Yang out first. Set him down on the sidewalk at the end of the drive and walked a few steps out in front of him. Called, and he came to me. I gave him a lick of the chicken, then stepped out a little further, called again. Again, he came right along. So we walked down to the neighbor's drive and back like we do it every day! I did give him several licks of chicken to reward him along the way, since we didn't need any coaxing at all.

So  next is Daz's turn. (Yes, "Daz", the puppy formerly known as Yin" <g>) I'm thinking no way she can rock it like her brother. But darned if she didn't! Just trotted right along with me. These guys don't seem phased at all by new experiences. Really odd and different than other pups I've had. And I have raised and helped with pups in a large variety of breeds over the years. So next thing is, collars and leashes!

Loving my little Pod babies!

3 comments:

  1. And they are loving you as well!!! Sounds like big time changes and experiences for all. I was hoping to see a birthday hat!
    Susan Y.

    ReplyDelete